To have Scotland at the heart of innovation and sustainable economic growth of commercial companies
involved in sustainable stewardship of indigenous seaweed species in the North Atlantic.
Specifically the goals of the Association are :
• Showcase the potential of Scottish seaweed
• Access to knowledge exchange
• Promote the Scottish seaweed Brand and the development of the nascent seaweed aquaculture industry in Scotland
• Regulatory guidance and representation
• Develop sub-sector
Explore and Identify funding options
• Organise events to give exposure to the sector.
The Scottish Seaweed Industry Association is a not-for-profit organisation representing members' interests.
Seaweed is emerging as a growth sector within the framework of the Blue Economy. Seaweed aquaculture in particular is a fast growing sector globally, and a central goal of the Association is to help facilitate this exciting new industry in Scotland – it is both carbon positive and has incredible potential in terms of its properties as a nutritious food, animal feed supplement, a source of protein and micronutrients, nutraceuticals and a raw material for an extensive number of other environmentally beneficial applications.